Monday, August 1, 2011

A little bit about couponing

  With that couponing show on one of my otherwise favorite channels, I have been asked a lot lately about one of my favorite hobbies- couponing, so I thought I would add something about it to my blog for everyone to read.  I am going to add a tab for my favorite couponing links and hope that it helps someone!   Before the couponing show, the reaction I got a lot was "Oh, you do coupons?  Well, that's nice, I just don't have time"  What!?!  That is the silliest thing I have ever heard.  Who doesn't have time to save money? Or "Oh, I just don't use anything that they have coupns for"  Really!?!  You don't use toothpaste, toothbrushes, deoderant, or shampoo?  How about milk, bread, ketchup or mustard?  Clothes?  Detergent?  These are all things that I can get for free or really, really cheap, but you don't use them?  Please don't stand too close :)

  Now, the most common question is "Have you seen that new show?  What do you think about it?"  I have given this a lot of thought and I really like, but don't like that show and I will tell you why.

  I like that the show is giving couponing a better public image and it is really improving the way stores are training the checkers on coupon policy, in the past that was pretty hit or miss on who knew what part of the policy.  That is all I like about the show.

  I DON'T like that it is giving people an unrealistic idea of what the average person can save at the supermarket.  I don't like that it is making stores change their coupon policy to be less consumer friendly.  I don't like that it is making the coupon companies put limits on the coupons themselves.  I don't like that it has created so many wannabe extremists who don't learn coupon etiquette first.

  I love couponing and have been at it for about 7 or 8 years now and I love teaching others how to save.  I can save 40%-90% on my grocery bill, but it does take some time to really learn the ropes and the right way to go about it, so be patient and you'll get there.  You also don't have to spend 60 hours a week or order 1000 coupons off ebay (which is illegal and being stopped), I spend about 2 hours every other week planning my trip and I only buy three newspapers every week for the coupons and it is plenty for me and my family.  I also give away a lot of the freebies to my friends and family because it really hurts for me to know they actually pay full price for stuff I get an abundance of, lol.
  Ok, now that I have all of that off of my chest, I am going to bed, it has been a long day.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  If you would like clarification on anything, please let me know, I am tired and may not have been as clear as I hoped.  I will put up links sometime tomorrow.
Nighty, night!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Becky,

    I thought I would comment on the latest blog you wrote because you probably would see the other comment in a more relative blog; although, I did try the couponing thing and it didn't seem to work for me. Probably because I don't know what I am doing. Well anywho, I see that you are a dukanian also and I just started Monday. This is the first time that I have ever stayed consistent with a blog and I like it. I am trying to build a friend base so that I can have lots to learn and share with others who are doing the same thing I am. I have lost 6 pounds since Monday. At the moment, I have cut beef and pork out of my diet. I read in one of your posts that you made homemade turkey burgers one night and they were good. I make some really good ones with red, green, yellow, and orange peppers, mushrooms, onions, shredded cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and they are so good with lettuce and tomato on top. I can't wait until I can eat vegetables because I miss my turkey burgers and I won't eat them any other way then that because turkey meat has no taste. Well keep me posted on your success.

    ReplyDelete